Thursday, December 17, 2009

12/14/09 Album of the Week ~ Paolo Nutini ~ Sunny Side Up


This week's selection for the album of the week was likely headed to special mention in the new Luck of the Draw, a new Cornucopia Music bin for albums selected at random, based upon the cover, title, etc. from the racks.

The colorful cover got my eye and I vaguely recognized the artist's name. When I put the CD in the computer I was quickly delighted, and amazed as I couldn't quite place the artist in a genre. Surely a singer songwriter, but one moment sounding Bob Marleyesque, at another moment folky, almost Donovanesque, then R&B, then suddenly zaidico! Usually, such genre jumping around comes off as too cute or schizophrenic, but with each twist and turn I was happy.

Turns out that Paolo Nutini is 4th generation Scottish with Italian heritage from his father's side (thus the MacNutini surname was not a recognizable clan surname!). A quick search online tells the story of an up and coming young artist who got his big break when he won a trivia question and got to fill in on stage while the headliner was delayed. Paolo has been climbing the UK and Irish charts since appearance on t.v. across the pond and recently appeared on Jay Leno.

I'll save full review of Paolo later, for now go Nutini - check it out!


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Pandora Top 25